Sunday, March 28, 2010

It Gets Challenging

After a few discussions with my running friends, I've decided that for the beginning stages of my marathon training, I'll be running 3-5 miles a day. I've always ran sorta casually, 2-3 times a week whenever I had time or felt like it, but I've never ran on consecutive days.

Today was day four of my training. It was my hardest day yet. First things first, my legs are getting really sore. This is something I expected, but I didn't expect it to be quite this discouraging. I've been sore after running before, but never this sore.

Secondly, I've decided to change to a healthy diet on Monday, but until then I'm gorging for my junk food swan song. With that said, last night I ate a whole container of two-bite brownies from Kroger, almost a half-gallon of milk and an entire frozen pizza. This was a horrible idea. My stomach was beyond upset this morning and it only accelerated when I ran. As early as the half mile mark I felt like I was going to throw up, it was horrible.

Finally, it was raining this morning. I've never ran in the rain before, this was a new experience. It really wasn't so bad, but on top of all the other stuff, it felt like the universe was against me. It was so hard to stay driven with so much going against me. I had planned on running four miles today. I didn't make it that far, however I was able to run my typical three mile course.

Now, I get that the junk food thing was totally my fault. In fact, I was pretty sure this is the way it would turn out. Honestly, as hard as today was, I'm glad I went through it. I know now why I should never, ever, ever eat this way and I know that I can still run three miles even when I don't feel like it.

To get to the parts that aren't entirely my fault, do any runners out there know any ways around sore legs? It makes me wonder, are runners legs sore all the time? I'd appreciate any advice/tips about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment