Friday, June 18, 2010

To Train for a 5k?

The key to any training program is setting up smaller goals for yourself until you are able to reach the bigger goal. As a runner, I'm in luck. There are several races throughout the year, of varying distances, that I can use to build myself up to a marathon.

With that said, I will be running my first race ever this Saturday. I'll be participating in the WV 5k Championship in Huntington, WV. I don't really know what to expect, but I'm pretty excited about it.

My prediction is that it will be a little challenging, but really inspiring. For those of you that aren't Metric system inclined, a 5k (AKA 5 kilometers) is roughly 3.1 miles. For those of you that have been keeping up with me for a while, you'll remember that 3 miles is a pretty average sized run for me. That really isn't anything huge anymore.

However, even though the distance won't be anything groundbreaking for me, I think the speed will be. With runners of varying levels all around me on the same course, its going to be really hard to pace myself. It will also be really hard to stop myself and not keep up, so I'm really interested to see how this turns out.

For those readers out there that don't feel up for a 5k, I encourage you to at least come out to Huntington, watch the run and cheer us all on. For those of you that feel up to a 5k, come on out and join us, its gonna be a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment