Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Casual Running Partner

So my theme week may not have turned out exactly as I'd planned, it turns out even runners have schedules. Who knew?

However, I did get the opportunity to run with my friend Sean, previously referred to as the casual runner. This is the run I wasn't very concerned about, because I knew he was roughly around my level so it wouldn't be super demanding.

We ran about three miles. I really enjoyed the run, however there were a few factors I didn't count on. It was great to have some conversation in the beginning. I don't get many chances to hang out with Sean, so its cool to think that this could be a new way for us to hang out.

The first mile went by pretty smoothly, I wasn't very out of breathe and I got to catch up with my friend. Then we both started to get a little out of breathe. The conversation lessened the farther we ran and I quickly started to miss my running music. It is honestly ridiculous how much music motivates me. I started forcing songs to get stuck in my head so I could have something. We finished the run, but I really wasn't feeling it. I had to force myself to run as far as I did, then once we stopped, I know I could have ran farther, I just couldn't make myself.

This was a really telling moment for myself. I really need to find other ways to motivate myself. I love to run with music, but thinking back now, I can remember times my blackberry died and I thought to myself, "Ya know, I can walk the rest of the way." If I don't have my music I'm useless. How am I going to run a marathon if my only real form of motivation is the music playing through my headphones?

So that's my next challenge, to find a way to motivate myself that doesn't involve music. I better figure it out fast too, because I'm runner with the experienced runner on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment