Friday, April 23, 2010

Podcasts: The Running Music Replacement

In my previous post I talked about how I needed to work on finding a way to run without music. Before making the leap to full-on no music, I thought I'd use something else to ween me off my headphones.

I have heard from a few different people that podcasts are good to run to. I never believed them, I seriously couldn't imagine how people talking could be as motivating as music. Honestly, I was still a little skeptical whenever I started the run.

I started up the podcast and began running at my typical speed. I fully expected to get tuckered out after about a mile and without my music to perk me back up, start walking. Much to my surprise, that not only didn't happen after a mile, but didn't happen at all for the entire run. I ran at a consistent speed for roughly an hour and a half without ever feeling super tired, in fact, I'm pretty sure I could have went for longer.

I was delightfully surprised that the podcast kept me running. I wouldn't say it motivated me, as much as it distracted me from how tired the run was making me. Podcasts aren't better then music, they're just different. Music caused me to fluctuate my run. When a song is a little more driving or has an especially catchy bridge, I run faster. If a song my not be quite as driving, I'll slow down slightly. I need the music to motivate me, because overall, I run harder.

So basically, podcasts are pretty great to run to. They help take your mind off how long you've been running. Although I don't think I'd always want to run to podcasts, but they are great at least once a week, when you may want a simpler run then usual. They are a great way to rest up, without having to skip on a day of running.

No comments:

Post a Comment