Saturday, May 1, 2010

I'm a Runner

I've been what I call "kinda a runner" for about a year now. Even after I started this blog, I would still call myself that. I couldn't commit to just saying, "I'm a runner." Its like there was something missing, I couldn't put my finger on it, but I couldn't classify myself as a runner.

However, a few nights ago that all changed. I went running earlier in the day, went to work and got off around 11 p.m. It was a nice night out, so I sat on my front porch for a few minutes. Then it hit me, I wanted to go running. It wasn't because I had to, I'd already gotten my run in for that day. I genuinely just wanted to go running.

That was it, that's what was missing. I couldn't call myself a runner because it wasn't something I did because I enjoyed doing it. It was something I was doing to fill a void. I started running primarily because I couldn't afford a gym membership and running outside is free. Now I run because I like it, because I want to.

When I go outside, I enjoy the way running makes me feel. I like the challenge of pushing myself harder then last time. I love the feel of the wind on my face. And honestly, I appreciate the chance to listen to music or catch up on podcasts for about an hour. Running is a way I relax now, its a form of escape for me.

So I'm a runner, that's all there is to it. Running is officially a part of my personality now, its who I am. I may not be able to run a marathon yet, but I'm well on my way, and I'm really looking forward to the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment