Monday, November 22, 2010

Getting Off the Gravy Train

Its been a challenge coming up with my next Dr. Oz food item to eliminate. This week is Thanksgiving, so I don't want to give up anything too crazy that I won't enjoy this Holiday season, but I do want to give up something big that will make my diet healthier overall.

After raking my mind, I thought of something that, honestly, I should have given up a long time ago. Something that is a staple in southern cooking that I eat at least three times a month. Something that's ingredient list alone makes you feel like you're gaining weight. This week, I'm giving up Gravy.



For those of you that didn't grow up in the southern part of the country, you may not be plagued by this white devil, but trust me, once you've tasted it, it is impossible to let go. Country gravy is made with grease from whatever you happen to be cooking, could be anything from bacon to sasuage and even chicken. Once you've secured your grease, you put in some flour. After browning this mixture, you then add cream. That's right, this dish is essentials grease and flour, with a little bit of dairy thrown in. Someone should never eat this. The problem? It tastes amazing!

Although I have went through periods of eating well, I've never given up gravy. It is time. I don't know if I'm ever going to eat gravy again, but I do know that when you're training to be a super hero, sacrifices need to be made. Goodbye gravy, I knew you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment